Your Move-Out Checklist, A Playlist
As the first of the month approaches, I can't help but feel for those of you with an impending move on the books. I moved in with my boyfriend last month, and even though we had LOTS of help from generous friends and family members, it was still hard/overwhelming/endless. One thing that makes it better (besides consuming half-empty bottles of booze while you pack) is to have upbeat music on. And for those of you moving out of apartments, I present to you, Your Move-Out Checklist, A Playlist.
- Check your Smoke Detector. Do you need to replace the batteries? How about the lightbulbs in your overhead lights?
- Put everything Irreplaceable in a box, to the left. And label it! It helps immensely when you start unpacking.
- Scrub everything, especially your blinds. Make that shit So Fresh, So Clean.
- Keep your eyes on the prize. Yes, this whole packing-and-cleaning-for-days thing sucks, but you're (hopefully) going to Move on Up and your new place will feel like a breath of fresh air.
- You will think We've Gotta Get Out of This Place to yourself MANY times throughout your official move-out day, but don't even think about it until you get those baseboards scrubbed down, honey!
- Get that Dirt Off Your Shoulder later. No one likes a slacker who showers 5x when there's still cleaning to be done.
- Let go of the idea that you will get Everything In Its Right Place right away. It takes time to pull a space together. And learn from my mistake, don't paint a room until you have all of your big furniture pieces.
- You'll feel a little sentimental and reminisce about all of the good times and "Firsts," that happened in your old place, but remember, Changes are good!
- Don't forget to leave your Doors Unlocked And Open so your landlord can get in--okay, maybe don't leave them open--just unlocked.
- Work Bitch <--that is all you will do for weeks. "Hot body" guaranteed.
- Next time She Wants To Move, remind her of how much work it requires and determine whether it's really worth gaining a dishwasher.
Best of luck with the move! If you have any stellar moving tips, do share.