It takes me a while to catch on to social media lingo. That either means I'm old, I'm terrible at my job (which relies heavily on knowledge of social media) or I just don't care that much to understand every single thing. Typically I see a new word/acronym/hashtag-letter-set used 5-6 times before I Google it, but then I often forget or read it as the thing I originally thought it was.
- TBT. Meaning "Throwback Thursday". But also meaning "Trampled By Turtles". When TBT started being widely used years ago I kept trying to figure out why all these people were talking about Trampled By Turtles and posting completely unrelated old photos to go along with it.
- v. Meaning "very." Very is not a terribly long word, so I'm not entirely sure why it needs to be shortened. The problem with "v." is that my girlfriends used to refer to their vaginas as their V's, so I still read the word as vagina. like, "I am vagina excited for the show tonight." and that just doesn't make sense. Unless your vagina is excited for the show, but then it should be "My v. is excited for the show tonight."
- Tho. Meaning Though. I guess you're trying to save space?
- ICYMI. Meaning "In Case You Missed It." I started seeing this one from a news channel that I follow and thought for a long time it was an acronym for a government group.
- TBH. Meaning "To Be Honest." You people keep inventing these acronyms to save characters in your tweets so I don't understand why you would just add more letters at the end of it, tbh.
- LMK. Meaning "Let Me Know." Every time I see this one I forget that it's an acronym and think that you just have your alphabet wrong. The K goes in front of the LM.
- FTW. Meaning "For The Win." In middle school a kid named Cory had a FTW stick-and-poke tattoo on his arm, but at that time it meant Fuck The World, so I've always read it that way. It took me a long time to figure out that people were not actually saying "Finished the race! Fuck The World!"
What's your least favorite social media/text lingo?