There sure is a lot of bad shit going on in the world right now. It's easy to get consumed with your own thoughts and forget about the person you're sleeping next to every night, or to think they know how much you love them. I don't know a single person who doesn't appreciate hearing that they're cared about. But life isn't a Nicholas Sparks book, so here's a quick list of lovely, not overly-sappy things you can say to your person:
- You're easy to be around.
- I love you.
- That's okay, you can finish the wine.
- I can't believe you're 30. You look so good.
- I was thinking I can make dinner tonight.
- How was your day?
- I saved you the Gouda.
- Good morning, beautiful. (three words, works every single time)
- Can I help you with that?
- I've never awoken next to someone who looks so good in the morning.
- You're the least irritating person I've ever been with.
- Do you want half of my cookie?
- I like talking to you.
- Should we watch that romantic comedy you've been wanting to see?
- Sometimes I think about what we'll be like when we're 80.
- I've never been with a person like you.
- How are you feeling about [thing we haven't talked about in a while]?
- Will you go out on a date with me?
- I like your brain.
- I missed you today.
Sometimes you don't even need words. Pick up his favorite take-out, put on a record and ask her to dance, give him a hug. As Boyz II Men eloquently sang in the ballad "Little Things," "little things mean a lot, appreciate what you got."
I promise it will make their days better.