The Danish word Hygge ("heu-gah”) has been around since the end of the 18th Century, but has recently been gaining traction amongst my fellow Minnesotans. Even though the word cannot easily be translated into English, that hasn't stopped us from sparking to the idea. Why? Because Hygge is not only about surviving grueling winters, but about thriving during them in the best ways, with coziness, comraderie, love and libations. Hygge is something we've always known—every time we've donned our flannel and curled up on the couch with a book, put a favorite record on and made a batch of mulled wine with our boyfriend, or called our friends over for an impromptu craft day. Hygge is the wintery comfort we know all too well in the north, which is exactly why this delicious Flocktail deserves to carry the term: Hot "Hygge" Chai. It's warm, flavorful and almost too easy to sip (if you catch my drift), so why not invite a friend over and make two?
Hot Hygge Chai
- 3 oz. Ålander Spiced Rum from Far North Spirits
- 1.5 oz Burnt Sugar and Ginger Chai from Gray Duck Chai
- 3 oz. Frothed Milk (if you don't own a frother, heat milk on stovetop)
- 2-3 Drops of Cardamom Bitters
- Dash of Ground Cinnamon
- Cinnamon Stick
- Measure the rum and chai and pour into a cocktail shaker. Add cardamom bitters and shake well.
- Pour mixture into a mug and set aside.
- Froth milk until warm and foamy and pour into glass with rum mixture.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon on top, add a cinnamon stick for stirring and enjoy!